Higher Folds is a small community trying big ideas and Saturday 17th January 2015 was a special day in the life of the Higher Folds Community Centre. Higher Folds “We Decide” became a reality and local groups really did benefit.
After nine months of consulting and working with the community the first “We Decide” event was held at the Community Centre for the people of the Higher Folds estate. Local people and groups were asked to develop projects to benefit the estate and they could share the Participatory Budget pot of money of £20,000.
23 bids were made and there were 13 lucky recipients of grants of up to £2,000. Successful projects included:
- St Gabriel’s School – developing a garden, encouraging cycling and new sports activities
- Youth Group and Family Gang – for much needed equipment
- Jigsaw – working with children in need
- Art of the Community – creating a piece of art to remember WW1
- Parent Voice – to provide support to local people
- Community Allotment – to encourage green fingers
- Golden Years – a day trip to trigger memories
- Hope Group – working with children and families living with autism
- Craft Club – to develop skills
After the bids and before the result West Leigh High School Soul Band provided very well received great entertainment. Comments left on the feedback sheets included.
- Extremely good turn out from everyone on the estate.
- Lovely venue and good organisation. Lovely to see how many good things happen on a daily basis in the Folds, really proud of it all.
- Excellent run event. Bringing the community together.
- I feel this event will benefit the people of Higher Folds estate and the people of Higher Folds, fantastic event.
- Great idea and event
The lucky winners were presented with their cheques and those unlucky not to win a grant were invited to consider other opportunities to fund their projects.
- The initiative was one of 12 related events under a programme being run by Greater Manchester Police