Byker Community Trust (BCT) is a registered Social Housing provider in Newcastle, created through a community led stock transfer of 1,800 properties in 2012.
On Sept 12th 2014 submissions closed for community based projects that will be funded in 2015 through participatory budgeting (PB) .
The funding is aimed at making Byker a better place to live, work, learn and play. The Community Trust is part of a new generation of community led Participatory budgeting, which is also spreading across Big Local areas.
BCT believes PB…
- Gives residents influence over decision making;
- Allows local residents to decide how money is spent in their local area;
- Promotes localism and a greater flexibility to respond to local needs;
- Enables local residents to get involved in scrutinising and monitoring performance, and
- Is empowering, beneficial, engaging and outcome focused.
Using a modified PB panel approach, the Trust will review applications and issue red, green or amber ratings for all the proposals submitted, so creating a short list of ideas for funding.
If the amount of ideas approved by the panel exceeds the £140,000 on offer the final decision will be made at a PB style decision day.
- Find out more about the Byker PB initiative and download the guidance and application forms